Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Happy birthday, Mom.

Today is my Mom's birthday. She would have been 65 years old.

What do you say about a woman who meant everything to you, but who has been gone for so many years?

She was my best friend and my hero. A woman I wanted to be exactly like, but also whom I learned a lot from in what not to do. She owned both her triumphs and her mistakes with the knowledge they shaped her to be more than she was. She was strong and capable, loving and comforting, wise and silly.

Ten years later and I still have such vivid memories.

Mom and me
Our first mother/daughter photo
  • The smell of Taboo lingering on your clothes after she hugged you.
  • The smell of baked bread on Thursday afternoons.
  • Her watching sports on her little TV in the kitchen - hands on her hips, one foot perched on the opposite thigh. 
  • Her relationship with my dog, Dez. Dez might have lived with me, but she was my Mom's dog.
  • Her loud and exuberant laugh that let you know she was enjoying something or someone. You could find her in any crowd with that laugh.
  • The fuzzy hair. We would find her in stores by looking for the fuzz of dark hair over the shelves. I still see that hair every once in awhile and it takes me back.
  • How much she loved me. I still remember that every day.
Ella and Bronwyn
Our last mother / daughter picture

Happy birthday, Mom.

2 comments:

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!