Friday, February 7, 2014

Review: Futuristic badass Sirantha Jax -- Fiction Friday

It's not often I pick up a futurist sic-fi book. Unless it's a young adult distopian novel, I have passed right by them. However, this series took me for a journey into the mind of Ann Aguirre and deep space the likes of which I had only seen in shows like Battlestar Galactica and Firefly.

In fact, that's what this series reminded me of.  The premise is that space can be navigated quicker through the minds of a special few who can "jump" ships through portals. But that isn't what caught me. It was the character, Sirantha.

via Amazon

Few female characters are strong enough to make me really wish I was them. Few grow in the course of a series so that you wouldn't even recognize them from the first book except that you were there. That is Sirantha Jax. She is funny, irreverent, sassy, sexy, and too much fun.

Until she and her longterm boyfriend pilot a ship that wrecks carrying all the dignitaries of the known worlds. One that kills everyone on board but for her.  She is being charged for the "crime" and kept in solitary. She changes after that and continues to do so.

A band of misfit renegades rescue her and the fun begins. She's met her match in a damaged man of few words and they go on adventures worthy of The Enterprise.

There are 6 books in this series and it wasn't until I finished the last one that I realized I had no more to read. I was heartbroken. I needed to prepare myself there would no longer be this amazing world of multiple planets, aliens shaped like praying mantii (that would be oddly attractive by the end) and a camaraderie only found in war between soldiers.

By the end, Sirantha is a new woman and so was I. I felt I had been in every flight, every battle, every amazingly lush scene of new worlds.

I still miss it.


Check it out at Amazon.ca

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hate it when you reach the end of the last book in a series. It's like you've developed for a craving that cannot be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!