Monday, December 30, 2013

Finding joy, choosing joy

Christmas 08 119

When the world seems set on kicking you in the teeth, it is - at times- difficult to find the positive things surrounding you.

This year has been a compilation of things making me want to crawl under the bed and hide. There was a funding scare at my office in the spring, a ton of changes to my schedule through summer, slow development on our house in the fall, and a medical leave from work in the winter. Add that to the last two years of infertility (2011) and losing a job (2012), I am about ready for the tides to turn.

But then I stop to think about the amazing things I have experienced this year.
  • My favourite little girl was born and she is SO MUCH TROUBLE.
  • I had a wonderful time in Cuba and went snorkelling without panicking once!
  • My husband and I celebrated our 6th year of dating and our 4th of marriage. And it's still awesome. When I tell him I love him, he says it's cuz he's wonderful and he's right! (and modest)
  • I've gotten to spend time with my Grandma (94) and The Guy's Grandma (91) and they are a hoot. My Grandma learned to use email and Skype. She's very excited.
  • We sold our house and started building a new one. In the meantime, we're in the cutest rental that belongs to a girl I used to babysit when I was in high school. 
  • Riders won the Grey Cup and we were there for it all. 
  • Monty was adorable every day.
The Guy is a good one for reminding me to look beyond the things causing me grief and look towards the things that make our lives worth it all. If it wasn't for the tougher spots, we wouldn't recognize the good. I can count him in my blessing list every day. Except for that one time he ate all the ice cream. 

I have a friend (my dear Gooblet) who daily picks a moment that makes her day the BDE -- best day ever.  She can have a day where everything in it sucks, but she will find the bright spot. Some days I think she's lying, but the point is she tries.

I want to be more like that. I want to look for the joy in my life. I want to choose joy.

Even when the day punches me in the junk, I want to be able to cuddle up with my dog and The Guy and say "This is joy."

8 comments:

  1. I need to learn how to do this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine, I wish I was better at it. I'm okay looking back on something, but during the moment, I'm often overwhelmed. Here's to a new outlook!

      Delete
  2. Starting Jan. 1, I am going to get an empty jar & every time something good happens, I'm writing it on a piece of paper & putting it in the jar. On Dec.31, I will hopefully have a jar full of joys to reflect on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma, I hope your jar is filled of little slips of paper that say things like "That fart!"

      Delete
  3. I love this perspective. It's so important to find the good moments, even if they're smooshed in the middle of some really trying ones.

    I'm so glad that you had so many lovely moments in 2013, despite some of those frustrations. Looking forward to seeing what happens in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's harder to remember in the midst of it, but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post and such a great reminder that we all have the power to chose joy. I have made it part of my bedtime ritual with Grace, every night, she has to try and think of the 3 best things about her day...when you are 5, it's much easier to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at 5 it's a bit easier. However, sometimes it's about remembering what we were thankful for at 5 that makes it easier.

      Delete

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!