Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Monty's fear of cleaning supplies

I have inadvertently taught the dog to be terrified of cleaning.

Seems fair he should hate it as much as I do.

Anytime I start cleaning something, Monty cannot help himself.  He starts to pace. From whatever room I'm cleaning to whatever room he is safe in, he wanders back and forth looking at me like I'm doing something that will cause grievous harm.

He whines. He sighs. He stares.

He hates when I use a broom, but is also enthralled with the idea that I am gathering all the floor treats into one pile for him to peruse.  He waits until my back is turned and sneaks into the room. He stands as far away from the pile as he can while leaning his nose towards the pile of dirt.


B&W Monty napping
Monty, tucked out with his pile of toys

You would think he expects it to jump out and bite him.

He hates the vacuum even worse.

The vacuum makes Monty run for the hills.  Usually he tries for high ground -- couch or bed -- but some times he doesn't make it before I do or that is the room I'm trying to clean. This causes him to stand in the middle of his chosen hill and decide if he is going to fight to maintain it or make a run for it.

The problem is the evil vacuum. It seems to make the floor lava.  If the vacuum is in the room, he cannot possibly touch the floor.

It might get him.

The other day, I was vacuuming the entry rug. I like to take my time there because it seems to collect dirt like it plans to run tests.  Monty was in the living room perched on the couch, ready to attack if need be.

Then he noticed a problem.

His dragon was in the kitchen.

Monty panicked. He jumped from the couch and edged closer to where the cord of the vacuum reached across the hallway blocking his access to the dragon. Monty started whining.  I encouraged him to jump the chasm and rescue his dragon.  He looked to the dragon, looked to me, looked to the dragon, looked to me.

I was taking great joy in his discomfort. I don't get out a lot.

Finally, he crept as close as he dared to the cord.  Leaning just his head over, he streeeeetched his neck out, snagged the dragon by the torn remnants of his tail, and made a break for it.

Most hilarious rescue ever.

8 comments:

  1. All of the cats I've owned have hated the vacuum. I've had cats who coudln't even go into a room if the vacuum was out. Even if it was off! My current cat, who's 17, has finally come to terms with the vacuum. Or is just too old to care. She can be in the same room and some days, she can even remain on the couch as the vacuum comes ever closer to her. I'd love to be able to use the vacuum ON her, but she's not that kind of cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some animals who love the vacuum, but that isn't the case here either. Weird.

      Delete
  2. Our dog hated the vacuum, and would often bark at it.

    Unfortunately, our eldest heavily relied on the vacuum as an infant (she wasn't the most relaxed baby ever), so the dog spent a lot of time on the other side of the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed I never responded to these comments! WORST BLOGGER EVER.

      Tara, I had one dog who would bite the vacuum cleaner by the floor brush and shake it. I don't know what it is.

      Delete
  3. Love it. Poor Monty. Like you, I often times enjoy the antics of the dog. She is typically on the mischievous trouble making side of things so when she is a bit tormented, it can be amusing to watch. Glad to hear Monty truly is brave when necessary. Long live the dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, his dragon is now lost in the winter wonderland that is his pooping area. We might see it in spring!

      Delete
  4. Awww, poor Monty. We also have a dog who barks at our floor polisher every time it's turned on. It's her worst enemy. I think she wants to pounce on it but is afraid that the equipment might bite back or something, so she just barks at it while keeping a safe distance.

    Larry Brannon @ LeonardBrushAndChemical.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the floor polisher would be so much worse for the pups!! All that whirring!

      Delete

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!